Williams School
Worth County Reporter--June 1988
By Bill Gladstone & Miss Mary Seat


The Williams School District, No. 7 and later changed to No. 41, was originally part of the famous old Stramer district which was divided into two districts, principally because of a high enumeration which would compare favorably with the enumeration of some consolidated districts of the present time. The patrons of the Williams district which consisted of sections 22-23-24 and the north half of 25-26 and 27 in Township 65 and Range 30 met at the home of Abram Williams on April 15, 1880 to elect three directors and transact such other business as was necessary to a new district.
J.W. Lame was chosen chairman and Wm. A. Pendleton clerk. Henry Miller, Isaac Dillon and Abram Williams were elected directors. The directors were authorized by vote to borrow $200 to erect a school building and to levy a sufficient amount to meet the indebtedness. They were to have a three month school the first term.
The Grange was invited to assist in building a second story to the building, the upper story to be used as a Grange Hall. The latter was not accepted.
The directors met April 17, 1880, also at the Abram Williams home, and elected Henry Miller president of the board and employed Wm. A. Pendleton clerk at a salary of $10 per year.
The directors also made plans for the building. The frame was to be made of No.1 oak, sills of hewn oak eight inches square and floor of 3/4 inch double. Henry Miller was chosen to superintend the erection of the building and to be allowed $1 a day for his time. The building was destroyed by fire in 1914.
The building that replaced the original building was later moved 1/4 mile west of the center of the district to get it on a passable road. It was sold for $215 in 1952 and dismantled.
In addition to the directors already mentioned, the following men served as directors prior to 1900--M.M. Jones, John Adair, F.M. Hall, Henry N. Seat, Solomon Steele, Joseph Spencer, F.M. Clark, B.D. Williams, F.A. Roach, Anderson Johnson, Manuel Wayman, William Lewis and possibly others unknown to the author.
The following are some of the men who served as director since 1900---Samuel Pyle, Alexander Fouts, Warren Wolvern, John Craven, I.E. Williams, Victor Hall, E.C. Fouts, O.F. Long, W.H. Hunter, Tony Jones, Jeff Cox, Emmet B. Seat, and the last board was composed of F.W. Hughes, W.B. Hughes and E.A. Stevens.
James Hunt was employed to teach the first term of school. He passed away in 1953, having outlived practically all of his pupils, not more than three or four being alive at the time of his passing.
In addition to James Hunt, a partial list of those teaching at the Williams before 1900 include Alice Thompson, O.M. Jones, Teresa Rairdan, W. C. Allen, Martha Pyle, Jennie Smith, W.C. Humphrey, Henry J. Tandy, S.P. Abplanalp, Minnie VanHoozer, Sarah Rairdan, Unity Roach, Marguerite Forbis, B.F. Abplanalp, Emily Roach and L.P. Hunter.
Since 1900 Minnie House, Marie Dungy, Grace Pyle, E.C. Fouts, Edna Craven, Lizzie Abplanalp, Charles Haney Riley, Tate Jonagan (at least that is the way he signed the register), Frank Anthony, Roy Pyle, Evaline Robertson, Vivian Seat, Leah Seat, Helen Long and others were teachers there.
At one time the Williams district had an enumeration of 70. At the present time (Ed. Note: Probably about 1955), if it were a district, the enumeration would be 3. In 1900 there were 30 occupied residences in the district and in 1954 there were 5 with a total population of 14. (In 1976 there were three occupied residences, no school children, and a total population of six).
(The above record was found among papers belonging to the late Emmet Seat and was probably written by him. Everett and Pauline Stevens gave me the names of other teachers. Pauline remembered Evalina Robertson was her first teacher. She also mentioned Ethel Adams and Pearl Rinehart. Leland Davidson was hired to teach, probably in the year 1919. Ellis Beavers was hired to teach near Davidson's home and the two young men worked out an exchange with the consent of the two boards.
Other teachers were Martha Stevens, Elsie Zimmerman , Everett Stevens, Lillian Seat, Wilma Hunter, Lester Stevens, Clara Stevens, Hildreth House, Reba Robertson and Bernice Sego).